Thursday, September 11, 2008

Running

I went running last night for the first time in a couple of years. I had started walking with one of the managers from work a few months ago. She is unable to run because of some back problems but I was able to convince her to walk the Provo 1/2 marathon. She had never entered a race before so really exciting. We did it a few weeks ago in 3:22, which I thought was a good pace for walking. Afterwards her son left for his mission and she went 2 weeks to Pacific Coast Banking School and is too stressed now to go so I haven't even been walking lately and the pounds are piling on. Last night I finally got out my Asics (agree with Kirsten - my favorite brand) and took off. I was a little concerned whether I could do it not. I didn't dare wear my St. George Marathon shirt. I knew someone would see it and wonder if I had stolen it or was just too unworthy to wear it.

I selected a new course that starts up hill, and it is a sharp climb. That hill is my nemesis. I am determined that I will one day run it without stopping. It is like mile 8 in St. George just not as long. I made it about a 1/4 of the way and had to walk the rest but the rest of the run felt amazing. I can't believe I have waited so long to start again. There is always this fear that I won't make it. I only ran 1-2 miles as I didn't want to push it. I could feel it in my legs the last 300 yds and am a little sore this morning but it is such a great feeling. The only negative is it gave me a headache. I started seeing bright lights in my vision which made reading difficult. Luckily we listen to a tape of the Book of Mormon. I hope that is not an ongoing thing. I get enough headaches that I don't need more from exercising.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

That's pretty ambitious to be running uphill. I remember biking with you as teenagers and we used to joke that we would have to get off our bikes and walk the incline on the dips in the road. I know how you feel about the St. George t-shirt. I'm too embarrassed to wear mine. Some day I will run that stupid race the way I know I can. Until then, all my courses are flat.