
After I had such a great run last week (haven't been since), I looked through my childhood scrap book and came across this picture. It is one of my favorite pictures probably because it is one of the few of me at a gymnastics meet. I think I was seven. Check out the yellow leotard. It brings back a lot of good memories. The saddest day was in 6th grade when my mom told me I could no longer do gymnastics. It was at least an hour drive to Rock Hill, S.C. from Gaffney. We left right after school (had to do homework in the car) and didn't get home until after 10 p.m. My mom could no longer do it.
I loved doing back flips out of the swings at school. I would swing as high as I could and flip out backwards while releasing the swing. Of course I usually got into trouble for it if I got caught by one of the teachers. My favorite thing to do was tumbling. I was small but had a lot of power.I remember doing back handsprings and the more I would do the faster I would get. We had one competition to see who could do the most. I think I did seventeen before I stopped, mainly because I was dizzy. Favorite memory: Winning the vault with a 9.45. I wish I could have seen it. I wish I could go back to that time. I also wishI could have trained with Bela Karolyi. Probably my one regret - that I couldn't continue.
After gymnastics I grew a lot in one year and would have become too tall anyway. I started playing tennis which I still enjoy doing. Kirsten started swimming which was better for her.
Good Times!
1 comment:
I still think of that day, when we had to quit,whenever I pull out my Smurf. I cried for 3 days straight. I love that picture of you. You were such a little Nadia, with the pigtails and the seriousness. If only, if only....
Post a Comment