Monday, September 8, 2008

Football




Tyler is playing football for the first time this year. He has asked me for two years to play and I have always discouraged it. Honestly, I never thought him big enough and always considered it a dumb jock sport. A lot of the kids who play are huge. Well, the coach asked him to play this year and I finally gave in. I'm so glad I did. He is really enjoying it and loves team sports much more than individual sports. I am the complete opposite. I never liked team sports. He has told me a couple of times the positions he is playing but I can't remember them. I think one position is "safety." I guess on defense it is the last stop. Nobody is supposed to get passed you. I keep wondering what he is going to do when a 300 lb. player comes toward him. I just see him grabbing onto the legs and being dragged down the field.


They had a JV game on Thursday (4th). I got there just as it ended so got a few pictures of Tyler. They lost 0-35 which was a little disappointing but still a good experience. Tyler throws the ball really well, which surprised me since he has had little football experience.


One morning when I was dropping him off he was grabbing his football gear and a father dropping off his son, who doesn't play, looked at Tyler and just grinned. He started asking Tyler about their game that day and if he thought they would win. You could tell he wished his son played. Football really is good for self-esteem. The players are noticed.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

I wouldn't worry about a 300 lb. linebacker getting to Tyler. They simply can't run that far. I like the pictures and it's great he has found something he enjoys.