Wow, what a weekend. I had planned to make pulled pork with Neeley's peach BBQ sauce, Ty's favorite. I purchased four large Boston Butt roast and put them in the freezer outside, because they were on sale for $1.29/pound. A week ago I was out cleaning the backyard and decided to get the air blower out to blow away the stuff on the patio. I decided I needed a longer extension cord so unhooked one in the garage. Well who knew, but it was the cord to the freezer. On Thursday we discovered that it had been unplugged for four days and all the meat of course ruined. So I had to go on Saturday and purchase four more roasts.
Friday Michael and my mom cleaned the house. Michael had to work Saturday so I knew he would not be able to help. My mom and I planned on going shopping Saturday morning. I didn't get to bed until 1:00 a.m. and at 8:00 a.m. my mom called. Kate was in the PICU again with a respiratory infection and she needed to shop that morning so she could go to the hospital. So I got up and we went to Smith's for the meat and Winco for everything else. She hired her friend Daysha to clean off the chairs and tables. Michael was already at the hospital and was able to get off work so my mom did not have to go up to Primary's (Children's hospital). Shopping wore her out.
Saturday I made the cone cupcakes, Barefoot Contessa peanut butter brownies and chocolate brownies. I love the recipe but they take a long time to make. Have to melt a pound of choc., butter, and unsweetened choc. in a double boiler and then mix them with eggs and sugar. They also have to cool and be placed in the fridge. I then made the BBQ sauce, watered the flowers, planted some new plants, straightened and cleaned, went to Home Depot, and can't remember what else. I started at 8:00 a.m. and got home @ 9:30 p.m. I then worked with Tyler on finishing his talk and went to bed before I passed out.
I had to be up by 6:30 to start making the veggie dip (Barefoot Contessa) and fruit dip (Paula Dean), and frosting. I took over my supplies to my mom's. Plus started to cook the eggs to make deviled eggs. I left @ 9:00 a.m. to go to Linda's sons homecoming. I was so exhausted but her son did a great job and helped me to relax before heading back over to my parents (after a quick stop at home to get some forgotten supplies). A couple of women from my parents ward came over to help cut veggies and fruit and shred the pork. Amazingly we got everything done by noon and mostly set up in preparation for after the meeting.
Tyler did a fantastic job speaking and on his talk. He wrote the majority himself with only a little help from me. He has such a great presence and speaks well in front of people. The entire family was able to attend other than Mark. Kristina and Scott even came down. Kate's teachers stayed with her at the hospital. She is now doing better and been moved out of the PICU.
We had lots of friends and family come for which is offer a big Thank You for your support. I managed to finally leave and make my way back to my parents. There car was just in front of me and as we turned down their street it was lined with cars on both sides and a huge crowd of people in the front yard and street. We were so amazed and it was totally unexpected. It turned out to be a great event.
Some of the people who came: Lynn & Karen Bradford, Julie Watts, Arthur Newell, Verl Tidwell & his wife, Scott Stuart (a jr. high friend of Mark's who has stayed in contact with the family and we love. Thanks for driving up from St. George!), Brenda & Willard Hansen, Shirley Ruppe, Linda & Paul Gause (she still had guests at her home but came and supported Ty - Thanks!), and many others. We were so overwhelmed by the support of so many.
At 5:00 p.m. we started cleaning up. I had purchased 8 dozen rolls and we ended with 3 left. I made it home by 6:30 p.m. totally exhausted. I'm still recovering.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey thanks for mentioning me! I had a great time. Tyler is going to do great! I still can't believe he's old enough to go on a mission. Time goes by way too fast!!
-Julie
So sad we were unable to attend but I am so glad you had so many supporters. What a great guy!
Post a Comment