Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me

R Reposted - One of my favorite pictures. I think I was seven.
Michael got me a new outfit

and a bracelet - "A Topaz, amongst my jewels - Are you mad?"



The top one is me at 1 yr. old in Germany
My first birthday at my grandmother's house
I think @ 3 yrs. old
Sunday was my birthday - 38th. We celebrated over at the house with Michael and David. Mutti made me a cake out of Fat Boys, the best cake ever. I love ice cream sandwiches. Let's see - a few childhood memories.

1. Born in Gaffney, S.C.
2. School - I don't remember the name of the pre-school but remember the location out towards the hospital. J. Paul Beam Elementary, West Jr. High, Timpview (10th), Isolde-Kurz Gymnasium (11th), Mtn. View (12th)
3. Playing in the woods and Kudzu - make believe castles and homes (Thanks Michael!)
4. Making grass homes in the front yard out of grass after the yard had been cut
5. David swinging on the vine across the creek in front of the yard and falling (Wasn't there but the funniest story which gets told multiple times each year)
6. Scoring 9.45 on vault in gymnastics (my favorite childhood sport)
7. Jumping 11' 1" in the long jump at the Atlanta Track Classic when I was 8 and receiving a trophy for first place
8. Walking through the tunnel (pipe) at the creek at the bottom of our home across the street. Occasionally there were snakes.
9. Walking the creek at the end of the road in the middle of the winter to see where it ended. Wow, it was a long walk back on the road and cold. We weren't too bright. We had plenty of imagination. Good thing we were athletic.
10. Winning 10 blue ribbons at the multi-school field day competition
11. Challenging the guy at church, whom I had a crush on (12 yrs old), to a race and winning because he beat me at the church field day and I knew I was faster. They had stupid activities like throwing. I throw like a girl and could never win any of those events. I can't remember his name at the moment. Only guy at church I ever had a crush on and had a lot of fun flirting with him. Last name was Mathis.
12. Trying to be the first to finish every test or assignment at school. I didn't realize I was so competitive.
13. Pets - Calico our first cat. We took in every stray. She would always hide in a closet when giving birth to kittens. Max, our German shepard, who bit my grandmother and he had to be put to sleep. We loved him and were sad when that happened.
14. Climbing the pine trees which lined the back yard. The best climbing trees. I fell out once and landed on my back - not fun.
15. Taking Mutti's silver and china and playing town with it. I was always the banker. Making the restaurant food out of brite lites and rocks wrapped in Kudzu.

Ok, I could go on forever, after all 38 years.....but will stop before it gets painful.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

Hey, I called and you never called me back. That's okay, we got you a little something anyway. Love the memories. You could've put Thanks Michael at the end of almost all of them. By the way, wasn't his name Clay? And you still throw like a girl!! Happy Birthday Farelyn!

Michael said...

Yes, Yes! I do have one wild imagination. At least you can say our childhood was never boring with me around. As for painful. That is okay dear. They make drugs for that. Oh wait! I take most of them. (Diet Coke!)