Friday, March 27, 2009

Habitat Volunteer

Yesterday I went and did service with Habitat for Humanity. I try to work with them at least once per year. I don't know why but we always pick the coldest days to volunteer. Yesterday a few of us volunteered from 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. I about died of shock when I realized it had snowed outside. Not only that but there was a strong freezing wind. Within five minutes of being outside by hands were starting to hurt despite wearing gloves. It was so miserable. I couldn't have been a pioneer. I don't think I would have made it in the cold. Around 11 I did a hot chocolate run and took the time to go home and put on some wool socks and warm up for a second. I had to go to three places for the hot chocolate. There really isn't much that I can do. I don't like using power tools. The nail gun is my least favorite. I just know I am going to shoot myself and I don't even want to think of the pain. Plus I'm not very good at shooting it on an angle. So I help lift things and hand people things. As we were leaving Channel 4 showed up and asked if they could interview me. So humiliating. I agreed to do it thinking if they didn't get anything good they just wouldn't show me and show someone else. Plus I was in old yucky clothes and had been standing out in the wind for four hours. Who knows what I looked like. Anyway, I guess I was on the Channel 4 news last night. I was too embarrassed to watch it but did get a call from a friend and David told me he had seen it. I asked David if it was embarrassing and he seemed to think it was. I figure what I don't know doesn't hurt me. It is always good to volunteer though.
Today I am suffering. The work or the cold gave me a massive headache and I am still suffering from it today. I'm glad it is the weekend.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

That's crazy you got interviewed when you were looking not so great - though you probably were still cute. And what an awesome cause to be involved in - you probably inspired a lot of people that saw the clip on tv.