Friday, September 9, 2011

United Way Day of Caring






Yesterday was the Day of Caring. I had emailed my contacts at United Way to inform them that I had been layed off but was still planning on attending, just not leading a project. They sent me an email at home requesting that I still lead the project as they did not have anyone else. To be honest, I probably would not have gone if they hadn't asked me to lead. An early morning, during a busy week was not my idea of fun. But then again, that's not why I do service. Plus, I enjoy leading and telling others what to do.
It turned out to be a great project. We were at Westridge Elementary and I had no idea before I arrived the scope or number of volunteers. I thought it would be some simple weeding with only the Wells Fargo volunteers. I had 30-40 volunteers from different companies and yes, some weeding involved but mostly painting the black-top and also in the kindergarten area. I though it turned out great. I had to send someone to get some additional supplies so some of us got a late start and it was a bit hectic in the morning but we managed to get everything painted.
The kids were so excited when they came out for recess. Although not allowed on the black-top they kept commenting on everything and even asked us to paint some lines I had not planned on painting. One kid asked a co-worker who was paying him to paint. He told him no one but that the kid could pay him. So the kid pulled out a dollar. We laughed about it and of course didn't take his money.
The snail was a bit of a confusion because all we had was a big circle so I asked if anyone was an artist and could do it freehand. We did have a drawing and I thought it turned out really well. I realised after going to the kindergarten area that it is where the snail had been drawn.
Afterwards we went to Red Lobster for all you can shrimp, which I of course added on a 1/2 pound of crab legs, a pineapple freeze, and chocolate cake for dessert. I was so stuffed that there was no need to eat any dinner that night but it was worth it!

No comments: