Sunday, September 25, 2011

School



I had to be in Phoenix for three days for school. My mom went with me to just relax. We flew back to SLC with Michael and David and walked with them towards baggage claim and headed towards our gate to Phoenix. This was my first time in Phoenix and we were pleasantly surprised how clean and quiet everything was. We stayed a short distance from the airport in Tempe. It was a business park and the only restaurant was a Denney's right in front of our hotel. Although only about a mile to the school it was too hot to walk and I was thankful for the hotel shuttle that drove me in the morning and picked me up at 5:00 p.m.
School went really well as we spent the three days talking and writing our concept papers in prepartion to begin the dissertation. We also have to pick a dissertation chair (mentor) and I was fortunate to already have someone in mind and connet with her during the three days. Luckily she had an opening and was holding it for me. I was able to work ahead of everyone else and submit my concept paper to her for feedback.
Mutti and I of course ate every night at Denney's. It wasn't really busy and at least they have a lot of variety. During the day she would hang out and read in the hotels courtyard, which she really enjoyed. I suffered in class from 8-5 waiting for my head to explode. Each day I would reach cognitive overload earlier and by the last day couldn't think any more. In the evenings, after dinner, we would walk up the street and back but there was not much to see. We stayed on University Drive and I believe the temple is further down. Each day during lunch and my breaks I would walk a little outside. Students kept asking me what I was doing, especially the smokers who I think felt a little guilty sitting and feeding their addiction. I just couldn't sit that long without getting a little exercise.

No comments: