We are back from our trip to California. Although ready to come home I would love to turn around and go back. It was so nice staying in a beautiful area and going to school. Mutti went with me during my week of classes to get away and relax, although a little boring during the 9 hours I was in class. We stayed at the Wyndham hotel on the Avenue of the Arts in Costa Mesa. We flew into John Wayne and took a taxi over to the hotel. I cannot remember the last time I was in a yellow cab. The driver didn't say one word, not even telling us the price. I happened to see it on the display.
After checking in to the hotel we walked around to locate the campus located on Bristol street which was a major business street. We quickly found the campus while passing a mall. After locating the campus we turned around and headed to the mall to look around and find something for lunch. The mall was unbelievable. Every major label you can imagine was in this mall. We walked into Bloomingdale's and looked at Louis Vuitton, Chanel, Ralph Loren. A pair of Chanel ballet slippers were $850 and a Ralph Lauren sweater was $1200. As the mall did not have a food court we asked a security guard where a good place for lunch would be. She recommended a bakery, which we loved. We ate there on more than one occasion, consistently eating the lentil soup.
We also found a place called Seasons 52, which changes its menu based on seasonal items. We enjoyed marinated chicken on grilled pineapple and fruit/spicy salsa and flatbread. Also one of our favorite places. We tried Claim Jumper one night but found the meals to be oversized and too much for us. Four people could eat a meal and the desserts, which were huge.
Mutti spent most of the days walking around and familiarizing herself with the area, although discovered at the end that the pond behind the hotel was the best place to walk. One benefit came from her walking, that when she got another infection she knew where the RiteAid was located and was able to call her doctor and have him send a prescription for some antibiotics.
Across the street from our hotel was the Opera House, concert hall, theatre, and a small circular tent theatre from Britain showing Peter Pan. We were able to get tickets one night and really enjoyed the show. Our last night the Opera House was showing El Postino with Placido Domingo on the side of the opera house. Not my favorite opera but we enjoyed it. Too bad they do not do that here in Utah. They have a very nice arts area in Costa Mesa.
School turned out to be really good. I was in a class of about 15 students, two already have doctorates and are working on a second. Two have published books. They were a group of intelligent individuals. Dr. Liz was wonderful and gave us a lot of useful information for our dissertations. I already wrote out my problem statement and title and need to begin on my annotated bibliography.
We were a diverse group mixed between Black and Caucasian. I became good friends with a with Thabiti. I think everyone in the class was amazed because we were such opposites. He was also in my group and we worked well together. Pam, the other lady in our group, was also Mormon. Our instructor had a lot of interest in geneology as her great great grandfather had joined the Mormon Church in 1848 in Wales, along with an Uncle, and immigrated to America. We were able to locate his name and grave on the church's family history site. He is buried in Spanish Fork. I also had an opportunity to give her a Book of Mormon. I had taken a single one to read as I did not want to take my scriptures with me.
It was a great trip for school, very informative and we were able to work ahead and not have to stay late in the evenings. Mutti and I had a great time. I hope I can go back to Costa Mesa next year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment