Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Homemade Tortillas


A friend of mine put a recipe on her blog on how to make homemade tortillas. I finally purchased some baking powder (has been hindering my baking aspirations) and made some last night. She was right, they are super simple to make and taste much better than the store bought. I had some left over Moroccan chili I had made the other night and so stuffed them with chili and some cheese. Yummy!

FLOUR TORTILLAS


recipe slightly altered from http://www.everydayfoodstorage.net/


2 cups all-purpose flour (next time I'll experiement with using part whole wheat)
3/4 teaspoon salt
heaping 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup oil
2/3 cup hot water

You mix everything in a food processor for about a minute and then knead it for 2-3 minutes. Let it sit covered for at least 15 minutes, divide, sit another 15 minutes and roll. Then in a pan around a minute each side.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I'm so glad your tortillas came out great, too! Don't they just taste great?! I can't seem myself buying store bought again unless I'm in a major time pinch. I'm curious to see how they come out with part whole wheat as well. My kids do great with whole wheat bread, rolls, and pancakes so I'm hoping that tortillas will pass in our house, too.