Thursday, May 7, 2009

Women in Philanthropy

I was invited by the lady who delivers our UPS mail at the bank to attend a luncheon for the Women in Philanthropy. The luncheon was at the Scera. They had invited Carol Weisman, an internationally recognized expert on philanthropy and author. We were each given a copy of her book Raising Charitable Children. It was really interesting and she does a great job with public speaking. The one thing that stood out to me was to ask your children what they are afraid of. I think that is a great idea and that we do not talk enough about our fears.

I don't think it is a committee I am interested in joining at the moment. I think they do a lot of great things distributing contributions and deciding on programs. First, I don't have the income to be a great philanthropist and currently I like to be more hands on at the moment in my service. We are doing a build day with Rural Housing Development Corp. next Friday. I just hope for good weather.

I volunteered at the Food Bank a couple of weeks ago because you can volunteer for an hour and don't need to sign up or anything. I thought it would be a great lunch time activity since I never know what to do for an hour since I it usually isn't worth it to drive home. I didn't realize that I would be doing service with a bunch of court appointed people. I think I was the only person there who wasn't required by the courts to do service. Scary!

No comments: