Monday, November 17, 2008

The Dream Manager

I finally got a book at work that I enjoyed reading. It isn't long and you can read it in about 1-1 1/2 hours. It is called The Dream Manager by Matthew Kelly. I like it because it applies a lot to personal life. Here are some of the parts I highlighted.
"In many ways, we are our dreams. But people stop dreaming because they get caught up in the hustle and bustle of surviving. And once we stop dreaming, we start to lead lives of quiet desperation, and little by little the passion and energy begin to disappear from our lives."
"Isn't one of the primary responsibilities of all relationships to help each other fulfill our dreams?"
"Nobody likes to feel that they are being taken for granted-that just builds resentment. But appreciation makes people feel good about who they are and what they are doing."
"If we really want to help people, we have a responsibility to help them identify and pursue their dreams."
"In a culture where dreams come true, there is no limit to the enthusiasm you can harness or the things you can achieve."
"...every person has different dreams, and that you cannot force your dreams on another person. Think about how much damage is caused when parents try to force their dreams on their children, or when one spouse tries to force his or her dreams on the other."

Question? What are your dreams or when did you stop dreaming?
My ultimate dream has always been to serve more missions. I knew as a young child that I wanted to serve a mission and did so. I also knew that it wasn't enough. I wanted to do more.
I also want to own a house, to get a doctorate degree (except at times when I know I am crazy!), travel, to live in England.

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

hmmmm, dreams. MY dreams have changed so much over the years. I used to want to go to the olympics, now I want to have a marriage like Pres. Hinckley's. I want to serve a mission with my husband, I want to get out of debt, I want to endure to the end. I don't dream so much anymore to be important or to do important things, I dream about having things that are eternal. Oh yeah, and to finish stupid St. George under 4 hours.