Wow! I just got back with a friend from work from the Carl Bloch exhibit. It is amazing and such a wonderful spirit. I loved every one of his paintings and had no idea about the artist behind such well known paintings in the LDS community.
My favorite painting is the Women at the Well (which I have a copy hanging in my bedroom). I would love to visit Fredricksborg Castle in Denmark where the original is located. There are so many that I enjoyed seeing. Just a few - Christ being wrapped lying below the cross with Joseph of Aramethea holding a lantern. I love the contrast between light and dark with the shadows and the lantern's brightness. Christ in Gethsemane - gained new understanding of this life saving event and the suffering of the Savior. I can't think of the name but of the girl lying dead and Christ entering to raise her. Carl Bloch captured death so well in this one, the body reflecting no spirit. It really reminded my of my niece Kate. What I like most about his paintings is his ability to see things in the scripture that is deeper than the surface meaning. I see deeper reflection in his work and that is very much how I am in reading the scriptures. What is truly astounding is his ability to paint the Savior and show humanity and compassion in a face that is typically portrayed in an unpleasant manner.
Afterwards we stopped at the gift shop - you know I can never pass up a chance to shop and although not planning on purchasing anything, I made a large purchase (how typical). Another painting I love was of an old women feeding some birds and I purchase a copy because I thought it would look perfect in my library and also as a token of this wonderful experience that will never happen again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks again for the invite! I had a great time and loved looking at and studying all of Bloch's paintings!
Post a Comment